FlexTrade seeks a General Counsel to spearhead a variety of legal needs for our growing company. You will be an integral member of the FlexTrade leadership team, reporting directly to our Chief Executive Officer. You will be relied on to provide sound legal advice and strategic decision-making for the company as we continue to grow and scale of our operations globally.
To excel in this role, you'll need to be a self-starter and problem-solver who enjoys working in a dynamic, and collaborative environment, and who welcomes the challenge of tackling the variety of strategic legal issues that arise on a day-to-day basis. Moreover, as the leader of a small team, with global responsibilities, being hand’s on and able to prioritize effectively while putting scalable systems and processes in place will be key. The ideal candidate would be passionate about partnering with the business to close deals, building relationships, mentoring team members, and looks at the role of legal as an enabler of business strategy.
- Set FlexTrade’s legal strategy, manage day-to-day responsibilities of the company's legal function and lead/mentor team members.
- Draft, Review and supervise the negotiation of a variety of commercial agreements (software licensing agreements including data processing/service level agreements, NDAs, vendor agreements, strategic partnerships, and other commercial agreements as needed.)
- Serve as a strategic partner to business stakeholders providing pragmatic, business savvy legal advice to identify and resolve legal issues and contract interpretation matters that arise in existing commercial relationships. Help manage disputes that may arise in existing commercial relationships.
- Assist in defining and implementing best practices around workflow and processes for the legal function, including through creation and maintenance of playbooks, contract templates, service guides and/or self-help or other workflows to help the business scale and automate.
- Support the executive team and business stakeholders on legal aspects of opportunities or business issues across Operations, Product, Finance, People, Sales, Engineering, Information Security, and Marketing.
- Offer guidance and serve as the escalation point on a wide variety of legal matters, including but not limited to contract law, state/federal compliance issues, data/privacy regulations, intellectual property, and other HR, employment, or corporate matters.
- Identify legal/compliance obligations and risks for the company, and develop strategies to mitigate same, including but not limited to designing and implementing company policies and procedures and staff training
- Manage relationships with outside counsel (e.g., IP, Employment, Real estate) in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Represent the company directly and/or manage outside legal counsel in regulatory enforcement, litigation, and contract negotiations as needed.
- Assist with employment laws and set up of international entities, collaborating with outside counsel as necessary.
- Provide advice on relevant industry standards, law, and regulations, including data privacy laws (e.g., FINRA, GDPR)
- 10+ years of relevant legal experience, with some prior experience leading an in-house legal team and owning the commercial legal function (actively managing commercial attorneys and/or contract specialists)
- J.D. from an accredited law school and member in good standing of a state bar (preferably in New York)
- Prior experience in financial services (capital markets/sales & trading) and/or technology is highly valued
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements involving technology, including licensing agreements. Strong knowledge of key legal concepts and levers in negotiations.
- Experience in legal operations including creating templates, legal work requests, escalation paths and playbooks.
- Extraordinary interpersonal and communication skills and ability to communicate information effectively internally and externally, including to non-legal audiences, and to drive cross functional alignment
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude; ability to influence/manage conflicts and provide timely and effective legal and business advice, support and training at all organizational levels.
- A bias towards action and a low ego, roll-up-your-sleeves mentality
- Rigorous attention to details and data, while not losing sight of the bigger picture; and the ability to project manage independently and prioritize workflow.
- Growth mindset with a strong desire to upskill, learn about new products, technologies, and processes.
- Prior experience scaling the legal function at a private company in the US is highly valued.
Hybrid Work environment and based out of our HQ in Great Neck, NY. May consider remote candidates with an expectation of frequent travel to our HQ.
**FlexTrade Systems, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.**